Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Perfect Knitting Bag!?

...does it really exist or is it merely a figment of our imagination like Utopia or Heaven or Shangrila or...*insert your version of paradise here*.

Sure, I have a pretty decent knitting bag that I managed to snag from Joann's with one of my 50% off coupons, but I have a deep seeded longing for more. You see my current knitting bag is proportionately good, but the design and material are lacking...no feet, the bottom corners are balding and the side snaps always come undone.



I need something above and beyond what I have today. A bag of monumental proportion. My perfect one. A bag that is tall, wide, deep, sturdy, able to stand on its own, stylish, contemporary, functional... *sigh* Alas, I have not found it yet. My perfect one!

I wonder if I should just sew one and get it over with? Now that I have my sewing machine and serger out to work on my Gatsby dress, perhaps I should just take this opportunity to sew a nice knitting bag, too?

I had been eyeing the Amy Butler Weekender Bag.
More photos of it on the Craftoholic blog.

but upon further reflection of my real desires, I envision something more along the lines of these bags...
The Levenger Bellagio Play Bag:


I love the leather bumpers, the nickel feet, the open interior with the organizational panel, leather handles with the nickel post and the bridge snap closure.

The Levenger Bahia Bag:


I like the size of this bag. It's just the right size for me to squeeze one of my larger afghan projects in there, but it's not leather, doesn't have the nickel feet, leather bumpers or the cool shoulder straps.

The Levenger Quantam Satchel:
I love the outward style of this bag, especially the detail of the nickel hardware and the straps.

The Levenger A Frame Tote:


*drool* love the shape, style and stitching...just too skinny.

The Levenger Crocus Tote:

I love the details on this bag. The stitching and the handles are spectacular. Alas, no feet or bumpers, but I like the look of it.

The Levenger Bellagio Work Bag:


*drool* So pretty! I like the way the handles support the bottom of the bag, the open compartment and the side organizational panel....but, too skinny and the arm opening for the handles is too small for me and I'm not fond of shoulder straps.

Well, I think you get the general idea of what I'm after...*pondering*
WAIT!
What if I disassemble my current bag and do a "6 million dollar man" job on it and make it better, faster, yadda, yadda? What do you do think! *rhetorical...don't really think* Add some feet, sew on some bumpers, stiffen the sides with some of that template plastic stuff?
OR!
maybe just use the disassembled bag as the pattern itself? YES! By george! I think she's got it! I know what I must do now! *wringing hands like a mad scientist* Let the experiments begin!

1 comment:

  1. I am ALWAYS on the look out for a good knitting bag!! I like to knit everywhere. One of my favorites is the one-skein knit to go bags for when I don't care about taking another bag along with my purse. But when I don't want to carry an extra bag (like to church or somewhere like that), I like the nine west bags. I have a decent sized one that has one middle zipped compartment for my knit stuff and the outer compartments for my pocketbook stuff. I can even carry a knitting book or two in that one. The one I have has two little baggies attached to the front so I don't worry about losing my cell or my keys in the rest of the bag. I love it!! Oh this comment is getting long...Just sharing...

    ReplyDelete