Friday, September 29, 2006

Wild Fiber Art Studio and Store of Santa Monica, CA

The story goes like this...
I was swiftly knitting away on my "Ruggles" washcloth while waiting for the 1:20 PM flight to Los Angeles from San Francisco when heard a female voice ask "So, what stitch is that?". At first, I didn't quite know what to think, but I replied "It's the Trinity stitch". She asked me a few more questions about my knitting prowess and I willingly obliged. You see she is a novice and enthusiastic knitter who is mystified by circular needles and bobbles. Go figure!

It was she who had hipped me to Wild Fiber in Santa Monica. Farbeit from me to look a gift yarn shop in the mouth, so I quickly scribbled the name down and provided information to her on where she might be able to find a couple balls of this discontinued yarn she had been looking for. I pointed her in the direction of Knitty and the Knittyboard. Surely, someone there would have the balls she so desperately sought after. I mean we are all such yarn stash hookers, aren't we?

Midway through our exchange, there was YET ANOTHER delay and a gate change, so I rushed off to grab a bite to eat, go potty and make my way down to the new gate. In my haste, however, I forgot to get her name. *sigh* Perhaps, one day our paths will cross again...until then, salut! I thank you for hooking a sista up with the good stuff.

After some wrangling, my friend Michael *for whom I had come to Los Angeles* and I stopped by Wild Fiber on our way to the piers at Santa Monica beach on Friday morning!

Michael promptly informed me that I was on the meter and only had 30 minutes to scour the store. Yeah, right! I thought to myself, but I managed to dig up some excellent finds during my limited time there. The store is elegantly appointed, neat, organized, bright, pleasant and full of the good stuff. GOOD LAWD! The first thing I noticed upon entering the door was the lovely Pimlico Shrug that was on display on one of the mannequins from Knit 2 Together by Mel Clark and Tracey Ullman. Yes, THE Tracey Ullman actually knits at WildFiber and is good friends with the store owner, Mel Clark. There's even a picture of them posing in front of the shop in the book. Michael and I tried to reproduce the pose, but it didn't quite come out right. LOL! I made him go back to the yarn shop to take the photos of us in the shop after we left the Third Street Promenade.

After we got there, I quickly discovered the sacred 50% off area and began foraging for deals.

...and LOOK AT WHAT I FOUND!

2 hanks of Riviera II Cotton/Rayon blend
2 hanks of Cascade 100% Silk
9 balls of Filtes Italian Cashmere and Australian Merino blend




2 skeins of Noro Deris Multi Cotton/Rayon blend

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You really made a killing!

    The irony of this is that I live in Los Angeles, and I never have the time to go to Wildfiber! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend that shop. Absolutely love it. The aura and the selection are sublime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! You'll have to bring it so I can see it in person!!! You lucky dog.

    ReplyDelete