Friday, August 18, 2006

The Itis! 12 Steps to Finishing an Object.

My knitter homies called me out this past Tuesday at Knit Night. ;((
Let's call it an intervention of sorts. LOL! Why? Because I had cast on for yet another project. This time it was the "Very Easy Ripple Shawl". See, I thought it would be nice to have a shawl when I travel next month since I'm always cold. The girls' words echoed in my brain as I continued to work on the shawl yesterday and I came to the stark realization that I needed to do something. I do start way too many projects and I have yet to finish anything, let alone anything significant.

That sobering realization lead me to seek a 12 step approach to address my "itis"...my "wontfinishwhatidonestarteditis".

These are the Twelve Steps as defined by Alcoholics Anonymous.
  1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
  4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
  5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
  6. We're entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
  7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
  8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
  9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
  10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
  11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.
  12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
Right now, I suppose I'm at step 5 since I'm blogging about my "itis". Now comes the hard part. Picking a project, concentrating solely on the project and finishing it. *argh*
Right now, I've selected my cigar gloves since they are very close to being completed. I should have those done this weekend. Then, I will turn my attention to my first pair of socks.

6 comments:

  1. Good for you! It's hard to not start something as soon as the whim hits, but you'll be much happier when you have something to show for all the time you spend on your hobby. I find I'm just not happy if I don't have a FO within a week or two of starting. So I compromise with myself.

    1 "Garment" at a time. Right now it's my lacey camisole and I should finish the knitting tonight, leaving the seaming. Then I do it's matching shrug.

    2 Socks Max at a time (socks are not "garments" in my book). 1 plain stockinette pair and 1 patterned pair. The plain pair is my purse knitting and the patterned is generally for knit nights.

    1 Dishcloth at a time. This is travel knitting or when I need a quick FO or break from a more time-consuming project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good that you are blogging about your starteritis, but look at your audience: we are as weak as you are! Maybe you will lead us all down the path of the straight and narrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've calmed down a bit with my 'itis. I have denied my self any yarn purchases-and starting a new project- until I finish whatever project I'm working on. And that makes finishing the project a lot faster. When you stay focused, you get done a lot quicker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why give in to your inner ADHD knitting fiend? I must have somewhere around 100+ UFOs between Montreal, Omaha, and all points in between...And it no longer tortures me. You see, I've become very philosophical about my need to start, but not necessarily finish projects right away--I realize it's as much about the journey as it is the destination...and I love every moment of the ride(s)!

    Do what you gotta do! =)

    - D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have complete faith that the next time I see you, you will have an FO to show off. One day at a time! ;)

    ReplyDelete