Monday, May 01, 2006

Local Yarn Store Snobbery or Worse?

Monday, May 1, 2006
Well, I have good news to report. I went back to "The Yarn Shop and More" and was pleasantly surprised to be greeted and skillfully assisted by the staff there. I was so impressed that I registered for 2 knitting courses.
One is to make the "Lace in Garter Wrap" featured in "Ponchos & Wraps A Knitter's Dozen" and the other is "Socks on Two Circulars". So, looks like I just caught them on a bad day the first time.
Now, I have 3 favorite Local Yarn Stores in Kansas City!



Tuesday, April 4, 2006
So, I went to a local yarn store today called "The Yarn Shop and More" and I was browsing around. Not once did anyone even look up to acknowledge my presence. No "Hello, How are you? Can I help you find anything"...No "Hi, Welcome to The Yarn Store. I'll be with you in a moment" No, nothing. Mind you "The Yarn Shop" is located in old town Overland Park which is predominantly White, but it's not I looked like I would be out of place, if that makes any sense. The owner was there helping another customer and there was an instructor and a couple students in the back and the owner's little girl was wondering about. So, I looked at a few items, paused at the cash wrap and thumbed through the latest version of Vogue Knitting, paused and watched the knitting class for a minute or two, made eye contact with the owner and left. Should I have approached someone? Maybe I should have opened my mouth and said "HEY LADIES!" *shrug* I just didn't really feel welcome there. As I exited the store, I felt a flush of anger and resentment. Why didn't anyone even talk to me? It was like I didn't even exist. I wondered if it was racism or just plain ole snobbery or both!? Part of me wants to go back just one more time to see if maybe they were having a bad day or if they really don't care to have my business? The other half says, "OH SCREW IT! Let them rot, I'll just order my fiber online...I can get a better deal anyway!" *hmph*

No comments:

Post a Comment