

So, I was up way too late again last night and bumbled across a documentary on BBC America called "Love Me, Love My Doll" about men who have life size "Real Doll" companions.
Weighing in at a paltry 100lbs, these dolls exemplify the ideal that most men find attractive. That ever inviting Playboy Bunny Pamela Anderson type girl with large unrealistic breasts, super flat stomach, no stretch marks, and not one ounce of cellulite. The dolls even have human pubic hair. Mind you they are not cheap. Each dolls costs approximately $10,000. One man had NINE (9) dolls!
The men depicted in the documentary didn't feel that they could attract real live human women. Some had completely given up on human women altogether. These men felt they were not very attractive. One man blamed his bad skin, hair and teeth on his inability to garner the attention of women. The men were shy, awkward, a bit eccentric and a couple were down right crazy. These men not only have sex with their dolls, but they bond with them. They cater to them. The dolls have names. The men groom them, dress them, pose them, take pictures with them, shop for them. They love their doll(s) and even have websites devoted to showing them off.
After seeing the show, I began to think, "I wondered why it was OK for a man to completely give up on humanity and take refuge in a doll? Why not look for a woman on par with himself?" Why not look to himself and wonder what little baby steps he could take towards humanity...towards finding a real woman? So, you're a little shy and you don't look like Brad Pitt. So, what! Why is it that men that look like Shrek want a woman that looks like Pamela Andeson? What's wrong with women in their own league...someone more easily attainable? Maybe it's not even about what she looks like? Maybe it boils down to trust and vulnerability. You can let your guard down with an inanimate object. A doll won't let you down. They won't cheat on you. They won't lie to you. They won't give you crabs.
It wasn't until I read more about this phenomenon in the Salon.com "Just Like A Woman" article that I learned of the more sinister side of this issue. Those men who mutilate their dolls. Men who, quite literally, rip them limb from limb. Men who do horrid unspeakable damage to their body...dolls with broken jaws, gapping vaginas, dangling breasts. Some men have the audacity to take their doll in for repair over and over again. *sigh* Better a doll than a human being, I suppose.
The office manager at Real Dolls mentioned that she gets all kinds of requests from men seeking special dolls. Some men wanted pregnant dolls. *gasp* Then, I began to wonder, "What if these men were so enamoured of their dolls that they wanted to experience pregnancy with a doll? What if he wanted to have baby dolls?" Then, the gruesome thought of ped*philes buying child dolls. On the one hand, it might save a real child from being m*lested, but the thought of a ped* buying child dolls is still equally disturbing. Real Dolls does not offer child dolls. Fortunately, the creator of Real Dolls does not entertain such requests.
Reading further in the Salon.com article, I found that not all men regard their dolls in such a romantic fashion. Some men (and the rare woman) simply use the dolls as a stop gap measure in between relationships. For some the dolls are no more than a sex toy that can be put away at anytime. Try hiding that one in your nightstand drawer. LOL!
Why don't we all just give up on each other and buy dolls? HA! Not me. There's nothing like being able to lay your head on his chest and hear his heartbeat. Feel his hands on the small of you back. Nothing can replace real intimacy.
Seriously, you watch the best documentaries. I just caught I Ate 33,000 Calories a Day and it was fascinating! I can't wait to see Love Me, Love My Doll.
ReplyDeleteSee the other day I watched a documentary from the UK on 'furries' these are grown ups who like to dress up as stuffed animals, some for sex other for the 'free' feeling of having no responsibilities. I watched it with awe. Now I want to see this one....
ReplyDeleteAt first, I shook my head and thought, "sick, sick people in this world." And on one hand, they are. But then I thought of those poor misfits in life who truly have nowhere to fit in. Who no matter how hard they try, and no matter which layer of the social strata they aim at, cannot manage to please. Alternate reality has its purpose, I suppose, and if it brings some poor soul comfort, who am I to think ill of it?
ReplyDeleteBesides, we all have our nightstand drawer secrets. And that's all I'm sayin' about that.
this is the saddest story to me! These men, awkard, shy and unattractive as they might think they are, would rather have an inanimate object as a love interest? very very sad
ReplyDeleteMen compartmentalize sex, in a way that doesn't need the emotion that women do, hence the doll in a drawer.
ReplyDeleteMen, at least have a doll as an outlet. On the other hand, women suffer much higher rates of depression than men, as we don't have any self-acceptable outlets based in real life; women fantasize. It's healthy, until it makes you either celebate or promiscuous, and angry with a world where your fantasy is not materializing.
Hello - I knew that somewhere there was somebody that had posted about this in the blogsphere and so I went on the hunt!
ReplyDeleteHello Sista! Last evening my husband and I looked at this and then looked at each other and felt we had finally crossed over into the world of the Hell to the Naw.
I'm progressive and I saw these on HBO's Real Sex (they do have a male version).
I have always been intrigued by that part of the population that point blank is just not equipped to be able to have a meaningful relationship.
I think that though they have a male doll our needs are different we start from the heart and work out and men start from the va-jay-jay and work in, lol
Interesting and now I'm going to find out who Swee Knittilicious is!
Pam
www.pamalicious.com
good stuff!! My flatmate taped this and said, "yew gotta watch this!" and we just did. Surfin' thru the net your post came up and I think it's good writing. One of the things that he pointed out was the same thing you said: the dude with bad teeth and bad hair also had at least 3 very dangerous guns, including a semi-automatic machine gun with a clip that held 32 rounds. "I used to carry this around with me, but I don't anymore-- too bulky" he said.
ReplyDeleteSays my flatmate, "maybe its a GOOD thing a dude like that has 2 dolls at home-- somehow I can just picture him doing some sort of violence if he didn't have that release in his bedroom. Maybe for some people this is a Good Thing and helps them stay balanced??"
I dunno. Still, good writing!!
I just saw this doc on BBC and was disturbed by it. When the creator of Real Dolls stated that these men have anti-social behavior and he's helping them with that by creating these dolls, I about fell off the couch! What helping them with anti-social behavior? How? It's just enabling them and creating further loss of touch from reality.
ReplyDeleteBut, the one guy who had the guns and commented on his looks, it is probably a good thing that he is not on the streets with the guns that he would carry or the big sword that his mom got for him - you know because she always gets the best gifts is what he said! YIKES!
Your post was very well written and brings up many questions. Bravo! If you don't mind, I want to link it to my post about the show.