Thursday, March 15, 2007

I Don't Want To Hear You Complain Ever Again!


Rosie Siggins who was born with a condition called sacral agenesis. Early on in her life, Rosie was left with only her upper torso after a life saving surgery wherein her legs had to be amputated.Take some time and read more about her and see her documentary on the Discovery Channel. The whole time I watched her documentary "The Woman with Half a Body", I thought to myself "DAMMIT! I can never complain about another thing in my whole life because if this woman can get out of bed everyday and live her life...then, dammit so can I!" I was truly moved and inspired by Rosie! She is a unique and beautiful woman.

Towards the end of the documentary, they mentioned the fact that Rosie will have to start using a wheelchair soon because she's basically falling apart due to the ravages of time. You see our arms aren't designed to take the amount of stress that Rosie has had to place on them to walk and her joints are giving out. Rosie doesn't want to use a wheelchair because she likes the freedom and the feeling of the ground beneath her hands. I wonder if Dean Kamen, inventor of the Segway might fashion some kind of machine for Rosie?

So, yesterday I wrote to Dean and here's what I said, "
From: @yahoo.com
To: contactDEKA@dekaresearch.com
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2007 2:16:40 PM
Subject: The Woman with Half a Body

Please forward this to Mr. Kamen for his consideration.
I saw him documented on the Sundance channel's "Iconoclast" and was fascinated by his ingenuity, so I figure he's just the man for this one.

After seeing the story of Rosie Siggins, I wondered if there wasn't something DEKA could do to help her get around more efficiently since her upper body is starting to wear down and she'll need some way to transport herself soon."
I haven't heard anything back yet, but I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. i always see that this is coming on but never watch it/// i may have to watch now!


    thank you so much for all you degerming advice! i just got done bleaching everything! i reek of bleash now!!! i knew about the linens and had done them yesterday before he got home last night. buti didn't even think of bleaching everything!!!! thank you so much!! you're like my new big sis!

    ReplyDelete