Thursday, February 01, 2007

I Love You Please Don't Die

That was the title of today's Greg Berman show wherein loved ones pleaded with morbidly obese family members to lose weight.

This sparked me to wonder just when do you have the crucial conversation with yourself. When do you intervene on behalf of someone you care about to tell them that you are afraid for their health and welfare?

Is there a fine line from being a Big Beautiful Woman (BBW) to being a home bound, bed ridden half ton woman?

I hearken back to an episode of Nip/Tuck where the surgeons are brought in to assist in removing a woman who was fused into the fabric of a sofa that she had been sitting on for over a year. She had not moved in over a year. Yes, she even defecated into this sofa. Deepening her demise was her long suffering husband who waited on her hand and foot, bringing her food and attending to her every whim. She had given up. She was a prisoner in her own home trapped by her own body unable to even move.

Recently, a friend was remarking how expensive her recent gym membership was to which I bluntly said, "The gym in an investment in you. It's money well spent. If you don't take care of you, then how can you even work to make the money?" It's something that we all forget, I think. Something we take for granted. Our body. Our poor ole body. We just think it's gonna be there for us no matter what, don't we? We care more about getting a regular tune up for our car than we do 20 minutes of cardio for our heart.

Don't get me wrong. I think being full-figured, fit and fabulous is great. I'll never be a size 2, but I don't want to be cut out of my house by the local fire department, either.

Fitness and weight management are going to be a life long pursuit. The more time and energy that I expend trying to stay relatively fit and healthy is that much more time I will have in my old age to walk and talk. God forbid, I end up strapped down to a hospital bed dependent on an orderly to change my bed pan and turn me over. *deep sigh* I'm going to scratch and claw to keep my freedom and independence as long as I can as long as it's within my control to do so.

Our body can be our prison or the key to our freedom. All we have to do is care for it and use it.

2 comments:

  1. A big round of applause! Indeed, the gym and eating well is an investment in ourselves. I find it strange that people will go into debt to buy clothing, but will balk at the cost of organic groceries or a gym membership. It's all about learning to see things differently and value ourselves. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister died at the age of 45 and all the medical examiner could tell us was "morbid obesity." She wasn't all that heavy, could get around fine and so on. So it does happen. Good luck getting some of the weight off and staying fit.

    ReplyDelete