I'm not really prepared to spend $2000 (flight, hotel, classes, events, yarn, incidentals) on this fiber fest. Which are the most important days and events to attend?
Are there some decent lesser expensive hotel choices near the convention center?
Are there some decent lesser expensive hotel choices near the convention center?
Here are the classes that I want to attend:
* Includes backup classes
FINISHING FINESSE
201-3: The Joy of Finishing SUN AM
201-3: The Joy of Finishing SUN AM
206-3: Advanced Finishing FRI PM
212-3: The Joys of Steeks THU PM
214-3: Sweater Finishing SUN AM
GARMENT SHAPING & DESIGNING
301-3: Pattern Customization FRI AM
303-3: Where Do They Get Those Numbers SUN AM
307-3: Complete From The Neck Down SAT AM
321-3: Design You Dream Sweater SAT AM
323-3: Demystifying Gauge: Garments That Fit THU PM
TECHINIQUES & TIPS FOR KNITTERS
503-3: Flat to Circular & Back SUN PM
512-3: The Long & Short of Knit SAT PM
546-3: Overcoming the Fear of Cutting SUN AM
THURSDAY, AUGUST 9
Fly into O'Hare Thursday morning/afternoon
* Should I stay at the hotels they have listed or try to find a cheaper one?
* Are the hotels they have listed attached to or across from the convention center?
Check into hotel
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM | Market Preview * Can we shop during this event?
9:15 PM - 9:45 PM | KnitU Meeting * What's that all about?
FRIDAY, AUGUST 10
10:00 AM - 1:00 PM | Market Time
1:30 PM - 4:30 PM | 206-3: Advanced Finishing
4:45 PM - 6:15 PM | Market Time?
6:30 PM - 7:45 PM | Fashion Show and Door Prizes * Are the prizes worth the expense?
8:00 PM - 10:00 PM | Dinner * Is this worth it?
SATURDAY, AUGUST 11
* Should I even try to stay and take classes or just check out of hotel and fly back?
I could check out, go back to the Market, then back to hotel to p/u bags and go to the airport.
307-3: Complete From The Neck Down SAT AM
321-3: Design You Dream Sweater SAT AM
512-3: The Long & Short of Knit SAT PM
SUNDAY, AUGUST 12
214-3: Sweater Finishing SUN AM
303-3: Where Do They Get Those Numbers SUN AM
546-3: Overcoming the Fear of Cutting SUN AM
503-3: Flat to Circular & Back SUN PM
Jealous, jealous, jealous...
ReplyDeleteThat sounds like a great trip...really good classes it seems. Now, $2,000, don't know if I could talk the hubby into that...
Definitely get Gwen's opinion as she's been there more often than I have. I went once in 2003 or 2004...I forget which.
ReplyDeleteThe market is pretty cool without a doubt and you can find some really neat things and some good buys as well. The classes are well worth it too. I went to one of the even banquets - the one with the student fashion show. And while it was interesting and everyone at the table got a prize, I could have easily skippied it and not missed much. (Although to see Rick M. hosting in his leather pants is a bit of a hoot even if his one of the saddest queens I have ever seen)
If you want to save some dough, pick two classes that interest you the most, spend some time in the market and be in and out in 2 days.
I just got back from Stitches West and I imagine its the pretty much the same show across the country.
ReplyDeleteThis is my 2nd event and I live locally so I only took two classes. If I flew in, I'd probaby opt for more. The best advantage of taking a class is getting into the Market Preview. This is your chance to check out the booths and buy stuff early because a lot of it sells out early. (My friend & I bought out the last 16 skeins of one colourway at Blackwater Abbey on Thursday night! Koigu at Foxy Lady & Blue Moon Fiber Arts were packed!)
As for the Fashion Show and dinner--it was enjoyable but I could take it or leave it. There are not nearly enough prizes for everyone who goes and this year they didn't have prizes for each table. (I did win one though!)
Dulce, email if you have more ?? I'm happy to answer!!