It dawned on me the other day, while commenting on someone's blog (I can't remember which one now), that I'm slowly, carefully trudging downhill. Yeah, I'm d@mn near 40 and as they say "It's all downhill from here..." Gawd forbid, I should actually trip and roll down the hill. All I can do now is resist the pull of gravity for as long as my legs can take it. LOL!
So, as is traditional this time of year. If you made a resolution to lose weight. Take it easy on yourself. Don't expect magic and realize that we ain't NEVER gonna be 18 again. NOT NEVER! H3ll, were we ever perfect to begin with? Nah. It was all just a fantasy, I think.
While I was at home visiting my family during the holidays, I looked over at my mom and was reminded that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I look just like she does and she's NOT nor has ever been a size 0. A size 20, yes. Size 10, no. As a matter of fact, the smallest I've ever been was a size 12 and I had to literally starve to get that small and yes, I gained it all back and then some. I've been stressing out about my weight for the majority of my life and I'm at the point now that I, finally, get it. Like they say, "This is as good as it gets..." and you know what. I'm ok with that.
Make the best of who/what you are now. Don't beat yourself to death. Don't bash yourself. Just do what you can when you can and call it good. Don't go crazy, though. You definately don't want to be that person that has to be, literally, cut from their home by the EMT because you're so large that they can't fit you through a doorway. I mean given the circumstances most of us will find ourselves in when we got old, you gotta do what it takes to hang on to your vitality for as long as you can. How many of us are going to eventually end up in the "old folks home"? *shudder* Personally, I think I'd rather swallow a can of arsenic pop than lay helpless in a hospice. So, I'm going to fight tooth and nail to remain independent for as long as I can.
And. Remember that those photos in the magazines are AIR BRUSHED and those celebrities on TV and in the movies have an entire armada at their disposal for hair, makeup, clothing, chefs, personal trainers, personal assistants, accountants, lawyers, nannies you name it they have it. So, don't measure yourself against them. It's like bringing a nuclear weapon to a rock fight. LOL! GAME OVER!.
Thanks, I needed that. :) I was trippin' over some damn fries I had at lunch. It's stupid to worry over french fries. There are few things better than hot salty french fries!
ReplyDeleteYou're so right! Even if we *could* get to the weight we were when we were 18, our stuff isn't going to be in the same place it was then. We're not gonna fit back in to the 18-yr-old clothes anymore. So, let's move on and do with what we have.
ReplyDeleteThis post really makes me feel good! I have always had issues with my weight and I have been thinner in life. But at some point, you just have to learn to be happy with the way you are! It is nice to watch your weight and what you eat, but what is the real purpose if you are thin but aren't happy in life!!
ReplyDeleteLove your post. Along those lines, I was just reading a post the other day about someone turning 30 and someone had commented that she felt more herself than ever before and it made me really think about it. I found that I,too, felt more me than ever before and that I really like who I and what I'm doing. I love my body every overweight pound of it and although I don't want to gain any more and would like to lose some, I would be happy to just be who I am. And, yes, I am a knitter and no that's not weird.
ReplyDeleteYeah me. Now, let's plan a cool vacation this year.
Gwen
YESSIREEBOB!!!!! You just said exactly what I've been trying to get through to my friend....WE ARE WOMAN!!!!
ReplyDeletehehehehehe.... great blog, thanks for writing it!