Tuesday, January 08, 2008

The Coriolis Experiment

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

I'm almost done with the arch increases. I've got about 10 more stitches to go on each sock.
Can't wait to get to the heel stitch shuffle.


Monday, December 31, 2007

After reviewing Cat Bordhi's "New Pathways for Sock Knitters Book One" last night, it dawned on me that I'm at just the perfect point to transform my boring old toe up socks into one of the sock architectures in the book. At this point, the "Coriolis" architecture is the best fit since I've already knit 5" of the toe section. Tonight, the storm begins!


Specifications
Needles: Addi Turbo Lace Needles US 2 47" cable
Alpha Stitch Markers: A, B, C, D, [E (for spiraling coriolis)]
Modifications: None
Started: October 2007
Finished:
Project Details:
The Coriolis Arch Expansion (Magic Loop Two at Once)
My Observations

Cat's instructions are similar to Elizabeth Zimmerman in that both authors have a very laid back, they'll figure it out kind of style, whereas I prefer a more detailed, direct style, so I'll give you all my interpretation of Cat's instructions in a more exacting manner.

- Only letter markers (A & B) are needed for the arch expansion. I would, also, use a 3 count pattern row counter to keep track of the increase and decrease rows.


- Changing the labeling of the sock insteps changes the direction that the spiraling takes effect, i.e. working both socks from right to left (A <---- B), I labeled my rightmost sock instep with the B marker and the other sock with the A marker. Doing this causes the arch spirals of each sock to come together towards each other like the St. Louis Arch. This goes against the grain, so you'll have to remember to work the B instep first every time.

Both Sock Insteps
- Row 0: [NOTE: Place the letter markers]
Simply knit to the appropriate spot and place the marker and continue to knit across the instep.

Sock B Instep
- Row 1: [NOTE: On your initial round, there will only be 2 sts on the right side of the B marker]
Cat says, "k1fb, k1, ssk, k to end of rnd."
I interpret, "k1fb, k1, slip B marker, ssk, knit to end of sock B instep."
- Row 2:
Cat says, "knit to 2 sts before B. k1fb, k to end of rnd."
I interpret, "knit to 2 sts before B, k1fb, k1, slip B marker, knit to end of sock B instep."

- Row 3: Cat says, "knit to 2 sts before B. k1fb, k to end of rnd."
I interpret, "knit to 2 sts before B, k1fb, k1, slip B marker, knit to end of sock B instep."

Sock A Instep

- Row 1: Cat says, "knit until 2 sts before A. k2tog, k1fb, k to end."
I interpret, "knit to 2 sts before A; k2tog, slip A marker, k1fb, k1."
- Row 2: Cat says, "knit to A, k1fb, k to end."
I interpret, "knit until you get to the A marker, slip the A marker, k1fb, knit to end of sock A instep."
- Row 3: Cat says, "knit to A, k1fb, k to end."
I interpret, "knit until you get to the A marker, slip the A marker, k1fb, knit to end of sock A instep."


Both Sock Soles
The soles of both socks are knit across in plain stockinette.

Continue working the insteps of both socks until you reach the number you calculated for your "F - Stitch Count After Arch Expansion" for each sock, i.e. stop the arch expansion once you have 108 total (instep + sole) stitches for each sock.

2 comments:

  1. You are a brave woman! Not only are you trying out interesting sock architectures, you're trying them out two at a time! Very, very brave indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! I like magic loop two at a time but I decided to do DPNs on this pattern since it's the first time. Looking forward to seeing how it goes for you.

    How is the fit? Starting my 3rd attempt because they are too big!

    ReplyDelete