Saturday, November 25, 2006

Search for the Great Male Knitter

Lately, I've become very interested in seeking out male knitters on the net.

It's kinda like mining for diamonds because they are very very rare to find online, you see.

In particular, I'd like to find straight male knitters. This morning it occurred to me that I have NEVER EVER seen a Black male knitter as yet. That would be the find of all finds....like finding a 40 carat diamond in the rough. Obviously, a Black male would probably see knitting as too feminine and hence be on the down low (dl) about his fiberly passion. Last night, I was watching VH1's Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and one of the men interviewed was commenting about Glam Rock stating that the ultimate expression of male security is to be ultra feminine. Basically, saying that heterosexual men that are confident and secure have no problem being perceived as feminine and might seek to be ultra feminine to express their strong masculinity. I've come across a few male knitter blog links here and there and continue to suss them out.

I'm already a member of Men Who Knit. I'm not sure about being a member of that site, though. I feel a little like an interloper. I don't visit or post there much at all anymore. I get the distinct impression that they aren't really keen on female knitters. Just a feeling I got from reading some of the rather cranky posts by some of the male knitters. I can understand why they would guard their cyber haven from female knitters since we dominate the entire industry. At least that's my perception. Has anyone else picked up on that feeling or am I just being overly sensitive?

1 comment:

  1. You should take a listen to "It's a Purl, Man" a knitting podcast by a straight guy.

    ReplyDelete