Friday, November 17, 2006

For Those Overseas...

http://www.anysoldier.com

I'm happy to report that I have FINALLY mailed off 4 boxes to Iraq/Afghanistan.

I found a couple of soldiers on the Any Soldier website and sent them some items to make their lives just a little easier, especially since Thanksgiving and Christmas are fast approaching and many of them will not receive any cards or presents from home. *sigh* Isn't that sad!

No matter what we may feel about the wars in the Middle East, let us not forget those serving for us. Many of whom come back to these shores in body bags or missing limbs. So, as we shop for our loved ones, let us also remember our soldiers and put an extra item or two in our basket. Let's look in our cupboards and cabinets for extra unused items that you can send. Magazines, books and games are also much appreciated. If you have any hand knit items to send, I'm sure they would worship the ground you walk on. Can you imagine being over there and receiving a hand knit cap, gloves, scarf, blankets, socks? Those items are worth more than gold to the soldiers.

I've adopted a Black female soldier named LaShawn and a local Kansas soldier named Logan. I know that LaShawn probably needs a lot of Black hair and skin care items, plus frilly girl stuff and I sent Logan all kinds of snacks and highly sought after personal hygiene items. You see it's not like they can walk across the way to the local PX to stock up on things. Personally, I love going to Dollar General and Big Lots and stocking up on staple items to send. I, also, sent Holiday cards, blank note cards and stamps, so that they can write me or anyone they choose.

Should you decide to particpate, here's some helpful hints.

  • Use the USPS Flat Rate boxes and stuff them full. It only costs $8.10
  • Don't send really big boxes, they are more susceptible to being lost or damaged.
  • Do not mix food and hygiene items. The fragrances from personal hygiene
    items contaminate the food.
  • Don't forget to fill out USPS Customs forms.
    Place liquid items inside a zippered baggie.
  • Don't stress out, just put some stuff in a box and send it. They appreciate basic consumables.
  • Don't send anything bulky that they can't put in a ruck sack. Stick to consumables
    they don't have to worry about shipping back home when they get to come back
    home.

No comments:

Post a Comment