Tuesday, October 17, 2006

War Wounds

While watching the House of Carters:Two of a Carter episode last night, I was struck by something that little brother Aaron said while dining at an LA restaurant with his big brother Nick and some music industry heavyweights. Nick and Aaron are mulling over the idea of starting their own record label and are at odds over what to name the company. Nick wants to name the company "Carter Brothers" and Aaron likes the name "War Wounds".

Previously in the episode, Nick had been trying in vein to convince his brother that he's NOT gangsta and that he has no real street credentials to even call himself a GANGSTA! Aaron wants so badly to identify himself as a hood, however, as Nick bluntly pointed out to one of his friends. "Aaron ain't from the hood, man!"

All of this got me to thinking...Personally, I regard a record label by the Carter Brothers called "War Wounds" as an afront to REAL War Veterans. Aaron has never served in the military! He doesn't have any real WAR wounds from real warfare on a battle ground. Give me a break!

As regards, street life warfare, well, he ain't been shot now has he? I agree with Nick's position that it's ridiculous for Aaron to keep playing this "hard gangsta" role when that's not really who he is. That's not where he comes from. Yeah, I thought ole "Buckwild" was entertaining on Flavor of Love 2, but now that I see this from another perspective, I can see just how ridiculous it is for folks like Becky and Aaron to "represent" something they know nothing about. 50 cent is a gangta. Aaron Carter is not.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that! There's nothing that irks me more than a bunch of suburban white kids playing "in the hood". I'm white, and I didn't grow up "in the hood". However, I know people who did, and it's a life that no one would aspire to if they had any sort of sense. And this is not a matter of race, but a matter of being trapped in poverty and a way of life because of your race. This is something that almost no white person experiences, so why the hell are these white kids so eager to "front"? It is because they can run back to the comfort of a 5 bedroom house and a TV in every room when the street light come on?

    ReplyDelete