
It's my 36th birthday today everybody!
I have to say that this has been a pretty darn good day so far.
No big productions or anything, just lots of phone calls, emails and cards from my family and close friends. Makes me feel so good to know there are those out there that care about me.
Sean and I had a wonderful time together.
We managed to squeeze in a whole lot of sight seeing during his visit, let's see:
Thursday Night, October 5, 2006
Sean arrived...nothing significant to report here since we both got home and crashed.
Friday, October 6, 2006
Funny thing! While we were getting ready to go out that morning in my NEW master bath, we both discovered that seeing someone brush their teeth grosses us out. How cool is that? We have the same phobia! YES!
We went to breakfast at Sharp's in Brookside. We walked across the street and I bought Sean some tins of whole bean coffee at the neighborhood The Roasterie coffee shop. The barista suggested some popular blends and he got to taste some varieties and settled on the The Kenyan AA Jambo! Estates and I got him a can of the Brookside Blvd blend for sentimental reason. I got a can of the Papua New Guinea - Kimel Estate for myself.
After breakfast, we went downtown to Union Station and then over to Crown Center.
While exploring Union Station, we stumbled across the new Kansas City Irish Museum and Cultural Center and popped in for a visit. Sean's last name is Irish and his mother has done extensive research into their geneology. It's a very cool place I must say. They have FREE facilities where anyone who is interested can sit down and research their family tree. Being that I have such an unusual Irish last name, I think it would be interesting and fairly easy to trace my dad's side of the family back to Ireland. There's even a portion of Meath that carries our last name.
I thought it might be nice, once I do my research, to volunteer at the museum. Rachel, executive manager of the center, was eccstatic at the notion and commented that it would be so nice to see a person of color working in the museum to show how diverse the Irish culture has become.
Our explorations lead us over to Crown Center where we took a quick tour of the shops and settled on Fritz's Railroad Restaurant for lunch.
You see they have an overhead electric railroad system that they use to deliver food to your table. Sean was fascinated with the choo choo train food delivery system. The food was edible, but you mostly go there for the ambience and novelty, definately, not for the food.
After lunch, back over to Union Station for ROBOTS: The Interactive Exhibition and Legends of the Night Sky.
After a long afternoon, we went back home for a nice nap and quiet time.
I cooked spaghetti and cornbread for dinner. It's a favorite of mine and has become a traditional first day in town dinner for us now.
Later that night, we walked up to the street to Charlie Hooper's and The Brooksider for drinks.
Then, we WALKED back home for some hot tubbin' lovin' :)
Saturday, October 7, 2006
Leftovers for breakfast and driving tour of Brookside, Ward Parkway and Mission Hills. Then over to Lenexa for some SHOPPING in preparation for my special birthday dinner date later that night. We went to a discount store in search of a really nice outfit for Sean. Then, we went to Steinmart in search of trouser socks to go with his new hip, trendy outfit we picked out at NBC and I ended up getting a pretty porcelain horsey, a beautiful blue-green vase and a new lamp bergere from Sean (selected by me) for my birthday. *smile*
After we left Steinmart, we walked across the parking lot for lunch at Mongolian BBQ.
While waiting for our table, I spotted Sean gawking at a table of what I can best describe as "...the round table of genetic anomolies..." I have to admit that I, too, was guilty of staring. Never in my life, have I witnessed so many in-breed freaks o' nature in my life. *shudder*
After lunch, back home for a pre party nap.
Later that evening, we went to dinner and drinks at Brio. Then, proceeded over One80 in Westport for pre- clubbing drinks and finally, over to The Empire Room at Union Hill Martini Corner. Sean was STRICTLY FORBIDDEN to dance...poor thang, but I had a good time shakin' it to DJ Tabitha's house rhythms. What happens at the Empire Room stays at the Empire Room....
Sunday, October 8, 2006
Groggy from the night before, we got up and got it in gear in time for brunch at The Peachtree Restaurant in the historic 18th and Vine Jazz District. The Sunday Buffet was just the thing! Quite fortuitous since it was, also, Canadian Thanksgiving, so Sean got to eat a bit of the traditional Thanksgiving fare from the buffett. Sean mentioned that he'd never seen the 'hood before, so I thought I'd give him a quick driveby editorial on the seedier side of town on our way to brunch that morning. After brunch, we went down to Overland Park for a quick tour of the campus where I work and a visit to my cubicle. Then, more shopping. This time we went to Target for master bath furniture/storage. I found some really nice pieces there. After shopping, we had some Sunday Afternoon laziness and leftovers for dinner.
Monday, October 9, 2006
Worked from home while Sean watched the all day "Top Chef" marathon on Bravo.
He's hooked now! :)
After work, we visited Nebraska Furniture Mart for his See's Candies fix.
More shopping...
Then, dinner at Jack Stack for some KC Authentic BBQ.
More Hot Tubbin' :)
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
*sniffle* :( *pout* Off to the airport, quick breakfast and a short goodbye.
Happy birthday!
ReplyDeleteHAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
ReplyDeleteAwww, so tough to say goodbye. But it sounds like you had a fabulous time together! Happy Birthday!!
ReplyDeleteHappy Birthday! You look so beautiful! And you are beaming! I am smiling all the more because of that great photo.
ReplyDeleteHappy Belated Birthday. My world has gotten all off track with all the traveling.
ReplyDeleteGwen