Monday, June 26, 2006

The Honeymoon is Over!

OK! It's T minus 5 days until I take Kayla back to her mom. I'm at the point now that I'm wrangling to get her mom to meet me halfway for the handoff because Auntie Carmen is T I R E D! GOOD LAWD! This was the BEST BIRTH CONTROL EVER! I take it back...I don't want any kids now. The appeal has worn off and I want my life back. I have a backlog in my own life now of people and places to see and be seen. This weekend can't get here FAST ENOUGH!

Had another episode of "I'm itchy, Aunt Carmen" last nite. *sigh* So, here is yesterday's itinerary: I somehow managed to sleep in late on Sunday morning despite Kitty cat's attempts to roust me by sitting in the middle of my back, knudging, purring, whining, etc... "...dagnabit kitty lady down!." Why is it that cats have this internal clock thingy that they can't/won't override? Anywho, we get up, eat breakfast, go take a nap, get up, get ready, out the door and off to "Science City" by 2:30 PM.

OH MY GAWD! She didn't know what to look at first when we got inside the building. Kayla: "Auntie Carmen! What's that? I want to try that! Let's go over here! OOOOoooo! Ahhhhh! Come on, Aunt Carmen! HEY!" Me: "KiKi slow down! Wait a second! Someone is using that right now! Come on here, girl! Don't touch that! I'm coming little girl..." *deep sigh*

So, we spent the next 3.5 hours traversing Science City.
First, we went to the Planetarium and learned about our solar system. Then, the real fun began. We visited the Mister E Hotel and searched for clues. We toured the inside of a space shuttle and tried "haplessly" to land a space shuttle. We designed our very own car. We explored the human body and sleuthed out a cow napper in the crime lab.

I was so broke down by the time we left there. We had to take a break around 4:30 so I could get a hot dog or something because my blood sugar was low and I had developed a limp. Kayla scarfed down her hot dog and was ready to resume her rampage.

Afterwards, we visited my friend Jodi and her husband Dennis and had dinner. By the time we left Jodi's house, it was 9 PM and time for the little girl's bath and bedtime. Kayla fell asleep in the car on the way back home, so I told her to just go upstairs, get in her bed clothes, hop in the bed and that she could take her bath in the morning. *ha* Apparently, it's not good to mess with mother nature OR a kid's daily routine. Not long after she got into her jammies and I put her in the bed, she was on the landing of the stairs complaining that she was "itchy". OK!? So, I told her to stop thinking about being itchy and go to sleep. *ha* She was back 5 minutes later that's when I figured out that itchy meant she felt dirty since she didn't take her bath. *sigh* So, I drew her bath and she bathed and resigned upstairs all by herself. Order had been returned. Now, the nighttime is about the only time I have to myself to maintain my own social interactions. It's hard thinking for 2 people all day everyday, so I enjoy adult banter in the evenings. Heck, I can't even watch the local news anymore. Kayla is easily scared. Matter of fact, she asked me repeatedly while we were in the astronaut exhibit if the "hurricane" that one of the demo computers was blarring about was real. I explained to her that it's just make believe and she calmed down for a brief time until the computer started blarring again according to its program. *sigh* Talk about a scardy cat...this girl takes the cake, but then again, I believe I was a bigger scardy cat when I was 6 or 7. I remember being afraid of the dark and sleeping on the floor next to my parent's bed. Would I be 6 years old again? HECK NO! I like being 35, thank you!

1 comment:

  1. girl you better than me. sista girl needs to learn to entertain herself!!!!
    my niece went home yesterday and i couldn't be happier. my house is so much quieter with her gone. my niece tried to be all up under me. i just looked at her and was like you better get out from under me!!! i'm not your mama.

    ReplyDelete