Tuesday, June 6, 2006
Can you believe that there are some soldiers out there that receive little or no correspondence! The AnySoldier site offers a way for us to get care packages directly into the hands of lonely soldiers in harms way via the "Where to Send" page. I've been reading through the requests from the soldiers and it is just so amazing how the little things we take for granted are so important to them there. I've just decided to adopt the 2nd-137th Infantry battalion, an all-male group of soldiers from the Kansas Army national guard. So, I'll start sending them personal hygiene and snacks asap, in addition, to making those cooling neckties too.
Additionally, I found this very informative Care Package list at the Freedom's Heroes site and here's the how-to on making the cooling neckties that the soldiers so desperately need this summer.
Sunday, June 4, 2006
I watched Jarhead last night and was reminded of our war in Iraq and Afghanistan.
I come from a military family. My father is a retired Army officer, my stepmother, also, a retired Army officer, my oldest brother is enlisted Air Force, my stepbrother graduated from Westpoint (Army) and is currently deployed in Iraq. Watching Jarhead last night reminded me of those who have volunteered their lives to fight for our democracy. Although, I do not necessarily agree with the premise by which we are engaged in Iraq and Afghanistan and soon to be Iran (the writing is on the wall). I do believe in those who are there to serve their country and defend America. I want to do whatever I can to ease their existence in the desert. I, recently, finished a Seaman's Cap that I intend to send to my brother, but now I see that there are so many others who would enjoy any little comfort from home, so I'm on a renewed mission to knit at least 3 or 4 items a month in preparation for this winter. Perusing Zib's blog today, I ran across the American Sniper site and Zib's Sniper Cozy KAL where I found the Knitty Cigar glove pattern. I've got a box ready to go full of goodies to send over there, just need to send it now. No time like the present, so tomorrow morning I'm headed to the post office for the first of many trips of love.
What a wonderful person you are for doing that!
ReplyDelete