
You know what to do.
If not, click the ribbon.
If not, click the ribbon.
Thinking about the significance of World AIDS Day today, the notion of testing for those of us outside the stereotypical indicators or hot zone came to mind. What about regular ole sexually active non intravenous drug user hetero suburbanites? Do we need regular testing too? I venture to say HELL YES we do because you just never know who's doing who in your 'hood.
Personally, when I WAS (I'm abstinent now since new boyfriend lives in the UK...for now) sexually active, in addition to safe sex practices, I made a habit of getting tested at least once a year. My doctor's office offers a ($30 cash) rapid HIV test that's kinda like a pregnancy test and within a matter of minutes you know what's what. I, also, followed that up with the regular blood tests and what not. ALL CLEAR! I know TMI, but if I can reach just one person who will stop and think and go get tested then its worth it....even married people should be tested. Believe me. Married people should get tested. As much as we like to believe in the sanctity of marriage and believe that our significant other wouldn't put us in harms way, many have done just that out of complete unawareness. Let's just say that I know several now openly gay men who used to do dirt on the DL and were married with kids and since gay men have always been at the top of the risk list...well, you know. And let's not talk about the percentage of women (Black women especially) infected by an ex convict boyfriend or husband. Don't beat me up...just saying it has happened to someone somewhere...it's always a possibility...however, slim it may be. Think about it. If you have some doubts, do something.
Personally, when I WAS (I'm abstinent now since new boyfriend lives in the UK...for now) sexually active, in addition to safe sex practices, I made a habit of getting tested at least once a year. My doctor's office offers a ($30 cash) rapid HIV test that's kinda like a pregnancy test and within a matter of minutes you know what's what. I, also, followed that up with the regular blood tests and what not. ALL CLEAR! I know TMI, but if I can reach just one person who will stop and think and go get tested then its worth it....even married people should be tested. Believe me. Married people should get tested. As much as we like to believe in the sanctity of marriage and believe that our significant other wouldn't put us in harms way, many have done just that out of complete unawareness. Let's just say that I know several now openly gay men who used to do dirt on the DL and were married with kids and since gay men have always been at the top of the risk list...well, you know. And let's not talk about the percentage of women (Black women especially) infected by an ex convict boyfriend or husband. Don't beat me up...just saying it has happened to someone somewhere...it's always a possibility...however, slim it may be. Think about it. If you have some doubts, do something.
For a topic like this. Frankness is needed. I know 2 people living with HIV, both women, and it's nothing sweet AT ALL! That's 2 people too many that I know! So yes, thank you for this post!
ReplyDelete