- Freeze a few bottled waters.
- Pack a lunch or at least some snacks! Never know when your blood sugar will get wonky. Ain't gonna find any food vendor with a short line.
- If you have bad allergies and/or asthma, take your medicine and bring extra. Rest assured, you're going to have some kind of attack while you are out in the dirt and weeds.
- The nearest convenience store is down that busy one lane highway and even then they probably won't have what you need, so pack your necessities ahead of time and just plan on dragging some stuff with you AND going back to your car a time or two for supplies. DO NOT think "Ah. We'll just pick it up on our way to the festival..." because SERIOUSLY there's no where to shop nearby. You'd have to drive into Columbia or Ellicott and that's a schlep from the festival grounds.
- Bring hand sanitizer and wet wipes! You will need them. Water faucets are few and far between and you will be touching all manner of muck and grime. You'll be going in and out of real barns with real livestock, people. Plus, you may have to use a porta-potty or they may run out of toilet tissue in the regular restrooms. Don't be afraid to use the men's room either, especially since there are more women than men at these events. Just holler first to make sure the coast is clear.
- Bring lots of cash. Not too many vendors accept checks or credit cards.
- Bring a large expandable tote bag. Preferably, one of those crocheted or knit string bags that will stretch out pretty well for your yarn purchases.
- Backpacks are largely frowned upon, but after a while I wished I had one because my shoulders were starting to get sore from the weight of my shoulder tote bags.
- Wear pants with pockets so you have easy access to your money.
- Don't forget your sunscreen AND a baseball cap or floppy hat! I noticed quite a few folks turning beet red in the afternoon sun. I brought my SPF 70 Helioplex, but left it in the car that morning since it was overcast and wasn't about to schlep to the car again to fetch it, so I got a wee bit tan. I liked showing folks the tan line from my watch as I was standing in the sun waiting in the bathroom line. LOL! Yes, "little girl" Black folks do tan...and quite rapidly. It's amazing, I'll show you one day.
- If you haven't done so already, go to Vistaprint and get you some of those free business cards so you can exchange contact information with your friends at the event. You can even put your Ravelry avatar on them and, of course, your Ravelry screenname, email address, etc.
- Wear broken in shoes with gel inserts. I wore my leather clogs with Dr. Schol's Gel Sole Inserts for maximum comfort.
- I saw some ladies trying to be cute in their heels and sandals. That's a good way to break your ankle because you will be walking on rocks, dirt, grass, falling into gopher holes, the whole lot, so be sensible and bring a nice pair of broken in CLOSED TOED shoes.
- Don't make the mistake of wearing brand new shoes like I did. My brand new tennis shoes were rubbing the back of my heels and started forming a blister. Luckily, I brought my leather clogs w/ gel inserts, so I went back to the car to swap out shoes.
- Bring a rain poncho and rain boots for good luck! I heard from some veterans that whenever they brought rain gear, it doesn't rain and it seems to have worked again this year.
- Get one of those rain poncho that can double as a tarp because there aren't a whole lot of places to sit down and you might end up sitting on the grass. If you do plan on sitting in the grass, bring a bug bomb and/or bug spray because there are all kinds of chiggers, gnats, flies, ticks, etc. that I'm sure you don't want to bring home with you. I hate bug bites.
- Make sure you have your mobile phone charged (dont' forget your car charger) and have your vital phone numbers in there already, i.e friends, family that are going to be with you at the festival because it's easy to get separated.
- Wear easily recognizable clothing to help you find each other in the crowd. Something memorable that people will have remembered seeing, for instance, I just happened to wear my hot pink skull & crown t-shirt and that helped my friend Gwen be able to find me in a crowd. :) Then, if we had gotten separated she would have been able to ask folks in they saw a Black woman wearing a hot pink skull & crown shirt and they would be like, "YEAH! I just saw her a few minutes ago over by the ...."
- Invest in a Global Positioning System (GPS). Rent a car with one, get it on your mobile phone, buy one and put it in your car, but don't leave home without it. Maneuvering around the DC, VA, MD area is painful at the very least. The street signs are teeny and driving directions from MapQuest and Google maps vary wildly sometimes.
- It was a bit chilly in the AM, but by noon it was warm and a little muggy. I'm glad I didn't bring a jacket because that was one more thing I would have had to schlep.
- If you're not a people person and/or don't like huge hoards of people, take your anxiety medicine and/or come on Sunday when there might be less people milling about.
...just another girl with a cat, a big stash, an obsession with pointy sticks and shiny objects!
Tuesday, May 06, 2008
Maryland Sheep and Wool Festival 2008 - Logistics and Lessons Learned
Logistics and Lessons Learned
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I want to see the stash!
ReplyDeletehey!! im the woman that took one of many pics of you and casey and jess! like teri above, show us what you came home with!!! :-P
ReplyDelete# Backpacks are largely frowned upon, but after a while I wished I had one because my shoulders were starting to get sore from the weight of my shoulder tote bags.
ReplyDeleteME AGAIN. i went to my first mdsw last year and used an ordinary purse that's a little on the big side. i came home with a seriously JACKED UP back. and yes, i get that backpacks are frowned upon but really...do you want to feel the PAIN of it for the upcoming week? so what i did was use a messenger bag and had it across my chess. i think that was a nice medium :-)
Great to see you! And I LOVED your shirt!!!! While I had on my SPF 70 helioplex goodness ALL WEEKEND, I STILL burned. Remember I said I am so pale you can see my internal organs when the sun hits me? Yeah, now you can still see them, only there is a red glow about them...
ReplyDeleteI should have gone!!!!!! I didn't know you were going. Does that mean Rhinebeck isn't totally out of the question? The weather is cooler, and there's foliage! :D
ReplyDeleteI'll add these:
ReplyDelete* DOUBLE CHECK your headlights! The road up to the fairgrounds is a "daylight safety section" so you have them on when you turn into the grounds, and they will often stay on when you leave the car if you forget to turn them off (this is especially true if your husband disconnected the door sensor the previous weekend and hasn't reconnected it).
* Have your AAA or roadside assistance information handy for when you fail to do the above.
* Be willing and able to ask for/accept help from friendly passers-by and Boy Scouts when you fail to do either of the above.
* Bring saline solution to rinse your contacts-- sheep dust is very irritating to eyes.
* Bring a pain killer of choice. No matter how well the day goes, there's a lot of physical activity, a lot of sun, a lot of noise and sound and sensory overload. If you're prone to headaches, you'll probably get one.