Tuesday, May 06, 2008

The Nashua Surplice Lace Top



Details
Needles: US 6 Knit Picks Options 60" cable
Modifications: Flat to In The Round
I cast on again using 284 stitches. I remembered to subtract the 2 selvage stitches from the flat pattern (total of 4 sts). The stitch repeat is 20 sts. so that would leave me with an extra 4 stitches that I would have to divide so that I had 2 Stockinette sts. on either side that define the front and back of the top...I think these will, also, be used for waist shaping later on.
Started: Thursday, May 31, 2007
Finished:


Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Still plugging away on this one. I'm on my 10th lace repeat and then I'll be ready to start the front and back of the top section.
Gwenie Gwen hipped me to The Knitting Fiend's "How To Decrease Evenly Across a Row" tool to help me figure out how to decrease down from 284 to the required number of stitches for the bodice.


Saturday, June 30, 2007


Finishing up the 5th repeat of 10. I'm able to try it on as I go using the 60" cable.
I'm glad I converted it to in the round, so that I'll be done that much sooner and won't have to seam anything. I've got the lace pattern memorized so that makes it much easier to just work on it whenever I get a free moment.

Thursday, May 31, 2007
I've heard my friends gripe about not knowing what to knit next and now it's my turn. I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning gloaming over knitting books and magazine in search of the PERFECT summer top to sport during Stitches Midwest this year. Nothing piqued my desire, so I'm back to the Nashua Surplice Lace Top again.
I cast on for it, AGAIN, a couple days ago and have been rather tepid about it. Last month, during the yarn crawl Gwenie Gwen, as usual, had the most wonderful idea! Nashua Handknits June for the Surplice! BRILLIANT! One problem...they didn't have enough in the color that she wanted, so we went in together and ordered a crapload of it over at WEBS. She got the rose color and I got the white. I wanted us to be twins and both get rose, but N O! She hates to be twins. *pout*
Anywho, I converted the pattern for in the round knitting. Why? I can't stand purling for some reason. It only recently occurred to me that I don't like to purl. As a matter of fact, I'd rather knit backwards than purl! Converting the pattern was a bit of a feat for me. The first time I cast on for this top in the round, I totally jacked up the stitch repeat and had this weird pattern repeat going and I was trying to compensate by increasing. Finally, I said "F*(K IT!" and ended up just frogging the whole mess. Right now, I am halfway through the first lace repeat. *yawn* One thing I realized about myself is that I'm totally a lace girl. Love me some lace. Why? It keeps me from being B O R E D!

So, the Nashua June is kinda splitty. *pout* Another annoying factor is that I have to keep my hands sparkling clean so as not to make the yarn dingy from any dirt, makeup or oil on my hands. *grumble* DAGNABIT! I need to find a new muse! A new lace love affair. Otherwise, I'll just plug along on the Nashua Surplice. Maybe after awhile she'll grow on me and I'll be excited about knitting her? *shrug* I hope the adrenaline kicks in soon...mama needs a new tank to floss at Stitches Midwest.

4 comments:

  1. totally understand you with the hate to purl thing. Never realized until recently why my gauge screws up, but its the purl factor.
    did you subtract stitches (i think two per section) to account for the lack of selvage?
    ah yes - there it is. I read too fast and miss stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stick with it! I know you can!

    I understand about having to keep your hands sparkling clean for the yarn! It IS annoying!

    Will look forward to your FO pice on the tank!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The lace pattern on that top looks like lace pattern for the Monkey socks. Is it similar? (I could check myself, but I'm actually really lazy.) :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah girl, keep going! I think the color and styly will look fabulous on you!

    It's so cool you can knit backwards; I'm trying to teach myself. Actually it was the way most folks knitted up till the 16th century.

    For my hands, I always keep the little hand wipe pouches in my purse. And since knitting in public brings attention to my fingers, I get my nails painted to match the yarn. It sounds crazy, but it has motivated me to complete projects.

    ReplyDelete