Friday, August 10, 2007

Stitches Midwest 2007: Day Two - BLISS!

Friday, August 10, 2007

Suzie and Beth had class all day Friday, so Gwenie Gwen and I hit the market for a fun filled day of shopping. We started out rather leisurely since we hit most of the hot spots during Thursday's Market Preview. Let me just say that I'm so glad that I got to meet Suzie and Beth. They are so adorable. I think I freaked them out a bit at first, but by Sunday I had 'em broken in. ;) Thank Gawd for the Yarn Seekers, Gwen and Suzi. They have a knack for finding the most beautiful yarn ever. Trophy Yarn no less. See, I was LITERALLY like a 6 year old at an amusement park! Gwen, Suzie and Beth are the seasoned veterans. The voices of reason with the master plan. Like I told Gwen on several occasions, "HEY! I'm just going to follow you around 'cause you know what to do..." The market is overwhelming and I was lucky to have my veteran homies with me. That's Gwenie, Suzie and Beth. Me? Well, I'm sure they wanted to put a leash and a muzzle on me...I just couldn't help myself. I had to buzz about randomly looking at stuff. One word: A. D. D. LOL! OK! That's actually 3 words, but you know what I mean.

It occurred to me that I should be looking for "trophy" or "you just can't get that just anywhere" type yarns. Now, the hunt begins...

I think one of the first booths we visited that morning was the Hand Painted Knitting Yarns booth. Gwen had been eyeing this really cool donegal tweedy type sock yarn and, of course, I had to get me some, too. All of their colorways are named after operas and as fate would have it, I had inadvertently chosen my own namesake yarn, Carmen. That's two so far, Patons Carmen and now the sweet tweedy Carmen. I got a hank of Nabucco and Fidelo, too.

The highlight of my Friday frenzy was when I stumbled across one of Norah Gaughan's new Berroco patterns called "Joplin" at the WEBS booth. The lovely Andra of WEBS was there to stoke my obsession by letting me try the sample on. Soon, my new pal Pete (WEBS shipping operations manager) was stacking 2.5 bags of Berroco Jasper in the Black Galaxy colorway! The lovely Andra took this photo of me modeling the XL size. I'm going to have to crank this one out on my knitting machine so I can have it just that much faster! This is definitely going to be a work sweater.

I'm, also, in love with the Johanna pattern in the booklet as well. Pete's going to be packaging up another bundle of love of me soon.

Being the Norah Gaughan fan that I am, I also, got her new Berroco "Norah Gaughan, Volume 1" book. I just love modern, contemporary patterns.



Another mitzvah for me was when I found a vendor with back issues of Interweave Knits! Not only that, but they were 40% off. I got IK Fall/Winter 2003, IK Spring, Summer and Winter 2004.

I got some JoJoland Melody Superwash wool in MS17, Y09

I bought MORE Addi Turbo Lace needles and 3 hanks of Tess' Super Sock and Baby Yarn in solid colorways, teal, lilac and rose.

After a few hours of shopping, Gwenie Gwen and I waited for Beth and Suzie in the classroom hangout area. I collapsed and took a power nap, then knit for a while on my Nashua Surplice lace top. I have to say that I didn't get a chance to do a whole lot of knitting at this knitting convention. *grumble*

After the girls got out of class, it was back down to the market for more shopping.
After a full day at the market, we decided to order a pizza and watch a movie in our room.
Many thanks to Beth for schlepping to get the pizza and for treating us to it as well.

So, what movie did we watch? KNOCKED UP! OH MY GAWD! *dry heave* Why! OH WHY! Did the director feel the need to show the baby's head crowning. LAWD GEEZUS! I don't EVER want to see that again. Also, I've decided never to have sex with any chunky, pot smoking, curly haired Jewish guys named Ben since they are magically fertile. LOL! *shudder*

Friday Night Haul
*photos coming soon*

2 comments:

  1. The coat looks fantastic on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish you would have come to the Knitty meetup at noon. Kathrows

    ReplyDelete