Thursday, April 24, 2008

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Soul of a Woman

Celebrating its 10 year anniversary this August, Soul of a Woman was Kelly Price's debut album. If you have never heard Kelly sang, you need to RUN and buy this CD. Lawd! This woman can sang! You will feel every note from her soul straight into yours. I have rediscovered Kelly all over again and she is awesome in every aspect.
I love every song on this CD, but some of the more memorable ones are:

Listen 2. Friend Of Mine [YouTube Live Performance]
Listen 3. Secret Love [YouTube Video]
Listen 5. Kiss Test
Listen 9. Her [YouTube Video] Story of My Life...
Listen11. Take Me To A Dream
Listen12. Lord Of All - [YouTube Live Performance] This one makes me cry every time. So, beautiful.

I remember when Kelly first debuted. I listened to this CD non stop and it resonates so closely to my own life experiences; betrayal, heartbreak, introspection and re-emergence.

Funny story.
Spring 1999, I was on a business trip to Buckhead, Atlanta, Georgia and was staying at the Swissotel. Just so happened that Kelly was in town and staying at the very same hotel. We were even on the same floor. Back then, Kelly and I looked pretty darn similar. Same complexion, same body composition, same hair style, same sunglasses (one of the doormen told me that we had the same ones), etc. No, I wasn't stalking her. Just one of those serendipitous situations. Consequently, I was frequently mistaken for her and found myself absconding from paparazzi and autograph seekers the whole time I was there. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to meet Mrs. Price, but it was nice being a look-a-like for a couple days. :) Some other similarities, we both come from COGIC families. My Maternal Grandmother is the Church Mother at her church. She has struggled with an ailing mother. Mine is still not doing well. We've both lost at least 100lbs, although, I've gained a few of mine back. BOOO! I'm working on it. I'm working on it. I promise. I just got back from the gym.

Always a plus size person, Kelly was prompted to make serious changes in her life after her mother and mother in law were both diagnosed with breast cancer. Slimming down from a size 24 to a size 12, Kelly managed to lose 100 pounds through plain ole diet and exercise. What an accomplishment and a great example to all women, especially women of color since we are most at risk for so many obesity related illnesses. Although, I have to say that I think she was so much more beautiful when she was larger. I think some folks just look better bigger, but what is more important is that they are healthier and happier.

Most recently, Kelly has been focusing on gospel music and was on tour with Sisters in the Spirit during 2007. "...Kelly Price is supposed to release a new R&B-CD early 2008 at Atlantic Records (according to Jawn Murry)"

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just begged you to "friend" me on Ravelry.

    Kelly is gorgeous, whatever the weight. It's great she's healthier, now, though - she'll be with us as long as possible.

    An inspiration to me - I need to lose weight.

    Iris (sillystitcher)

    ReplyDelete