Picture on the bottom side of the outside packaging doesn't match the actual inside of the box.
Box has 3 pockets for cable storage, not 2. ;)
The Packaging:
- Storage Box measures 13" (33cm) wide x 8" (21cm) high x 1.5" (3.5cm) deep
- I'm not impressed with the large rectangular Click box. Accessories, include a needle sizer and gold plated rhinestone heart lapel pin. Not sure I get the lapel pin, but ok it's cute.
- Other interchangeable systems (namely KnitMates NeedleMaster and KnitPicks Options) come with a compact, portable case that is attractive and functional. I'll either have to make a new case to store these tips or use another KnitPicks binder and pockets.
The Needlepoints:
- Sizes range from US4(3.5mm) to US15 (10mm), but for some reason they didn't include US5 needlepoints. I read recently that they will be offering the US5 soon.
- The needlepoints are light and smooth and slightly blunt...perfect for regular ole everyday knitting, but not so great for intricate lace patterns where you will be doing a lot of SSK, K2Tog.
- When attaching the needlepoints...READ THE PAMPHLET carefully and follow the instructions and you should be fine. Takes some trial and error and patience to get it down. I just wish they would include a little circular rubber griper pad like the one that comes in the Wright Boye KnitMates kit.
- The locking mechanism works very nicely and withstands even a stitch pusher like me. They haven't popped off yet.
- One major turnoff is the connector ridge between the cable and the needlepoint.
- Some of the fuzzier yarns tends to get snagged on it and forget about doing laceweight.
The Cords:
- In your initial kit, you only receive one 24", 32" and 40" cable.
- Those aren't the actual lengths of the cables...just the length you achieve when you attach the needlepoints.
- From end to end, the:
- 24" cable is actually 13.5" (34.5cm)
- 32" cable is 21.25" (54cm)
- 40" cable is 29" (74cm)
- The cable information does wear off after a few uses.
- The cords are not quite as flexible as the original Addi circular cords. Not entirely ideal for magic looping.
The Connector:
- I'm disappointed with the design of the connector.
- It's 3.25" (8cm) long which makes for an awkward cable connection.
- Additionally, you only get one connector so you can only connect 2 of your cables and not all 3 of them together.
- This type of connector is not ideal for fine lace knitting since you will have to fuss with moving the stitches up and over the ridges of the connector and the needlepoints.
- I'm not sure why the designers/engineers didn't design the connections to be flush.
Good to hear you so honest about the set despite them being gifted to you. And I say you are right on TARGET about this set too! I truly don't think they are worth the price point in comparison to KPs. Anyone getting them would truly be getting them because of the "label" Addi.
ReplyDeleteYeah, that's what I thought. I really don't get why there's no Size 5 and wtf with only the 3 different cords and lengths? Odd. And they don't even offer extras yet, I believe. Interesting. I hear they might come out with an Addi Lace version? If they improve vastly upon this set when they do, I may consider it.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that you were honest in your assessment of the needles. Since this set costs somewhere around 150 dollars, I'd want the tips to be able to do a wide range of knitting, INCLUDING lace. So, I'd want the tips to be pointier.
ReplyDeleteWow! You really broke it down!! LOL
ReplyDeleteI hope you had a good weekend. Since I only do "Simple" Items {hat, scarves} I don't need such sophisticated Needles.
Take Care~