Saturday, February 25, 2006

"Straight" Men Who Knit?

OK! I know it's 2006, but there's something that doesn't sit well with me about the notion of a man who knits. Stereotypically, I assume that any man who knits is gay or at least closeted, but I know realistically there are many "straight" men who knit. As a lifelong knitter, I know first hand just how relaxing and gratifying it is to knit, so I can see how there may be some appeal for a man to try it out. That not withstanding, I just can't shake my fervent Southern Belle mentality. Girls shouldn't change their own motor oil and boys shouldn't knit and never the twain shall met. I just can't fathom a "straight" man who likes to knit and purl in his spare time. Being the stereotypical (there's that word again) Libra, my sense of fairness and equilibrium forces me to keep an open mind. Part of me wants to embrace this newfangled "straight" knitting man, but the other 90% of me is completely aghast.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dulce,

    I'd say if you find a man who knits you've got a good man, keep him! He obviously is secure and not intimidated by what people will think, and most likely will treat you well. Besides a skill is always a good thing and versatility is for sure. If you got sick and needed someone to fill some orders for you, voila! The knitting man to the rescue. Now how about that angle? When you think about it it's really a pretty attractive attribute to an artist/crafter. Handy doesn't have to mean only with power tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know you have a point!

    I'm beginning to shift my viewpoint on "straight" men who knit, especially after running across a couple of great sites committed to men who knit. I have their buttons on my blog now. :)

    I was especially swayed by this: http://www.menknit.net/history.html

    ReplyDelete