After witnessing the embarrasingly dismal response to Katrina by local, state and federal agencies last summer, it dawned on me that as a single woman it is incumbent upon me to secure my own safety, security and survival in the face of a catastrophic disaster. I'd like to share my ideas with the hope of inspiring other single women to do what is necessary to secure their own fate.
We have to consider and prepare for short-term and long-term displacement.
First, assess your short and long term needs, i.e. what will be required/needed to survive a short term (1-10 days) disruption? What will you need for a long term or permanent disruption?
At the very least, you will need water, food, clothing, hygiene products, identification, cash, personal security (weapon)!
Start out by preparing a sturdy backpack or rolling duffle with:
MONEY
Stash a couple hundred dollars away since ATM machines may or may not be working.
FOOD & WATER
Pack a couple bottles of water, powdered milk, some energy bars, tuna, crackers, peanuts. Basically, any kind of food that doesn't require cooking and has some good nutritional value.
CLOTHING
Pack comfortable clothing, sturdy shoes, socks, underwear
PERSONAL HYGIENE
Pack a small ziploc bag with travel sizes of personal hygiene products, i.e. toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, conditioner, comb/brush, deodorant, tampons, sanitary napkins, birth control (pills, condoms, spermicide), rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, bandages, tylenol, baby wipes, eyeglasses, sunglasses, prescription medicines. African American women will want to pack skin/haircare products, i.e. body lotion, sunscreen, hair grease/lotion, pressing comb.
PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION & LEGAL DOCUMENTS
Photocopy, scan to disk and vacuum seal your driver's license, birth certificate, real estate records, last will & testament
PERSONAL PROTECTION
Most women don't own or know how to operate a gun, so someone suggested that a shotgun is a good choice for most women since you don't have to have perfect markmanship to get the job done.
Outside of a shotgun, you might want to at least have a tazer or pepper spray to deter would-be attackers/rapist, etc.
I suppose if you are a single mother and/or you have pets, obviously, you'd prepare enough for yourself and your beloveds...goes without saying really.
This is an excellent post; women single or not (your man may not be with you when something happens), need to be aware of how to take care of themselves in the event of such an emergency.
ReplyDeleteMay I make another suggestion? Have your full name engraved on the inside of a ring you habitually wear. One of the reasons it was so hard to identify women during the 9/11 bombing, was this––men, carry their I.D. and important cards in a wallet which they keep on their person. Women however, carry a handbag, containing their wallet with I.D. (interesting; this is something I rarely do, as I'm not very feminine).
When the bombs struck, many women forgot about their bag, then died. And while you can I.D. someone thru dental records, a catastrophic event can make this exceedingly difficult. It is faster if the emergency team can just look at your wallet or ring finger.