
I have, recently, become overly fascinated...read obsessed with Gothic Lolita fashion.
Originally and traditionally, Gothic Lolita is a Japanese niche fashion hailing from Harajuku district of Tokyo, Japan. Over the past decade, Gothic Lolita has become more popular here in the US.
One problem. Japanese fashion does not lend itself to the plus size audience at all.
So, what is a fluffy girl to do? There are a handful of online retailers like Fanplusfriend that sell off the rack items up to a size 20 US, but for those of us a bit fuller than that...We have to have our clothes bespoke/made custom. Check out the F* Yeah! Lolita tutorials and the Gothic Lolita Sewing blog for tips on making your own items.
I've run across a few of Etsy designers, like MelanieGail and SweetRevengeCouture who make very nice plus size items.
Reading Caro Chan's F* Yeah! Lolita "How to Avoid Being an LTA" article, I was aghast to read that I had already violated proper Gothic Lolita protocol by making my first jumper dress and shirt out of satin and I put the cheap lace on the sleeves of my shirt. :O :: D'OH :: sighs :: But, you know what. I'm damn proud of my dress and shirt and will continue to rock them into the wee hours of the night. ;)
I think you look adorable. Even if it is satin!
ReplyDeleteI love the term "fluffy", and I love the gothic Lolita, too! I was in Japan too early to see this, but I understand that it's so much fun to people watch in Japan for all sorts of gothic Lolita, among other, creations on people!
ReplyDeleteYou actually look like a 1940s diva to me!
ReplyDelete